Saturday, January 17, 2009

Lawsuit Buttermilk Muffins

Baked 1.16.09

I had some extra buttermilk after making apple muffins...so I decided to try this Lawsuit Buttermilk Muffins recipe (because Ivonne said they were "the best muffins ever") from Cream Puffs in Venice, who is now at this site. The original recipe actually comes from Marcy Goldman, author of The best of BetterBaking.com, which is, of course, based off of BetterBaking.com recipes. These are really good, but I didn't follow the recipe exactly. The orange zest gives it a nice tart, orange-y flavor. Maybe next time I'll add more almonds (I was just experimenting with those on the tops). They don't stick to paper liners!



RECIPE:

* Changes I made from the original recipe):
1. I didn't make the streusel topping, although I did sprinkle the tops with chopped almonds and brown sugar
2. I used a bit less than 1 cup of brown sugar (instead of 1 1/3 cup packed brown sugar)
3. I only used about 1 tablespoon of orange zest (instead of 1 1/2 tablespoons)
4. I used 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour & 1 cup of whole wheat flour (instead of all all-purpose flour)
5. I added 1 cup of blueberries and an apple for the fruit (instead of measuring out 1 3/4 cups fruit)

Muffin recipe that I used (without streusel):

* 1/2 cup vegetable oil
* ~ 1 cup brown sugar
* 1 tablespoons grated citrus zest (I used orange)
* 1 egg
* 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
* 1 cup buttermilk
* 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
* 1 cup whole wheat flour
* 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
* 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
* 1 3/4 cups of fruit (I used 1 cup of blueberries & almost a full small apple)

1) Preheat oven to 400 degrees F & line muffin tin with paper liners or spray with oil & flour (or spraying oil made with flour!! it's awesome)
2) In large bowl, mix together dry ingredients (flour, salt, baking powder, & baking soda); set aside
3) In smaller bowl, mix together oil, brown sugar, citrus zest, & egg. Once combined, stir in buttermilk & vanilla extract
4) Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and mix well.
5) Gently mix in fruit. If batter too liquidy (mine wasn't), then add a little more flour
6) Spoon batter into muffin cups to the tops
7) Bake for 15 minutes at 400 degrees
8) Lower the temperature to 350 degrees and bake for an additional 12 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment