Sunday, December 28, 2008

Whole Wheat Apple Muffins + Burn Incident


These are TO DIE FOR (even after cutting the sugar in half). Or at least my mom, dad, former co-workers, and I think so. I decided to make these after seeing a picture of them on Pete's blog (I found his site while looking for food bloggers to interview for my Anthropology of Food class), and he got the recipe from the King Arthur Flour recipe site. Recipe below.


So many apple chunks! PERFECT!




Here's the burning incident story: I forgot to take out the trays and stuff in the oven before turning the oven on to 450 degrees--BAD! But at least the plastic cutting board wasn't in there. This is a good learning experience. This is what happens when you put a brownie pan directly on the oven's heat source (luckily there aren't any holes).


APPLE MUFFINS RECIPE (original recipe here; I changed the amounts of sugar):
*Makes 12*

1 cup whole wheat flour
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1 Tbsp cinnamon
1/2 cup butter at room temperature
1/2 cup white sugar (I cut this about in half)
1/4 cup brown sugar + another 1/4 cup brown sugar as topping (I cut both amounts in half)
1 egg
1 cup buttermilk
2 apples (peeled, cored, and coarsely chopped--i used honey crisp like Pete did, but you can use pretty much any kind I think)

1. In a small bowl, mix together the flours, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon.
2. In a large bowl, cream the butter, the white sugar and 1/4 cup of the brown sugar.
3. Add the egg and beat until fluffy.
4. Mix in the buttermilk gently (don’t overmix).
5. Stir in the flour mixture gently and fold in the apples.
6. Pour batter into 12 muffin cup liners.
7. Optional: Sprinkle muffins with 1/4 cup brown sugar.
8. Bake at 450 F for 10 minutes.
9. After 10 minutes, turn the oven down to 400 F and bake for another 15-20 minutes.
10. Allow muffins to cool in muffin tin for a few minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.

I'm definitely making these again! Most likely for my boss in a couple of weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment