Sunday, December 28, 2008

Vegan Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Muffins

* Baked 12.2007 *


My second batch of muffins of the day (see previous post for a description of those)! I think I've found my favorite vegan pumpkin muffin recipe!! I have another really easy one, but this one makes softer muffins.

As usual, I used an existing online recipe and made it healthier. Here's the original recipe from allrecipes.com

And here is the adjusted recipe that I used:

3/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup applesauce -- can use oil instead
1/2 cup silken tofu (beaten) -- can use 2 eggs instead
3/4 cup canned organic pumpkin
1/4 cup water
1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
3/4 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup semisweet chocolate chips

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Grease muffin pan or use paper liners.
2. Mix sugar, applesauce, & tofu. Add pumpkin & water.
3. In separate bowl mix together the baking flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt.
4. Add wet mixture & stir in chocolate chips
5. Fill muffin cups 2/3 full with batter.
**For all of my chocolate chip muffins, I add an additional few chips on the tops of each muffin so that they get baked directly and taste like HEAVEN when they're done. That's the best muffin tip I could give you right there.**
6. Bake for 20 minutes.

** THE RESULTS **

The GOOD:
+
Just enough chocolate chips.
+ Good texture - kinda fluffy!
+ Not too sweet

The BAD:
- I could have blended/beaten the tofu a bit more. Saw some white chunkies that might gross
other people out.
- This recipe only makes 11 muffins (the website said 12). What is up with me not ending up
with the right amount of muffins?
- They stick to the cupcake cups too much.

Next time:
* Don't use cupcake cups. Try greasing the tin instead.
__________________________________________________________________

Can't wait to try that one again. I'm excited about the tofu being unnoticeable (besides the tiny chunks that I saw, which I will definitely fix)! And the applesauce worked out well too. I feel so healthy. Except for the chocolate chips...but they just taste so good!

No comments:

Post a Comment