Saturday, April 24, 2010

Tate's Bakeshop Copycat Cookies - Cookie Madness

Over the past year, I've shifted my baking focus from muffins and brownies to mostly cookies. Maybe 'cause they're easier to transport...and...I don't know.

I tried another Cookie Madness recipe. Love that blog. And I love crispy cookies. If you try these, make sure you give them enough room so that you don't end up with mitotic cookies (in telophase) like I did.

Like the shamoji (Japanese rice paddle) below? haha..It makes a nice mixing tool sometimes (like for small amounts of dough).

Some had chunks, and some had chips. I added a tiny bit of used coffee grounds to the ones with the chunks. I'd add more next time. You could add espresso powder for more flavor; I was just experimenting with used grounds because of this compost cookie recipe (haven't tried it yet) that uses them. Great way to recycle, right?


Ever wondered what would happen if you made a cookie in the microwave? It's not so great. I need those browned edges!

Recipe (original here; I just reworded it and made it simpler to understand and follow):

2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
2 sticks butter - original recipe called for salted, but Cookie Madness used unsalted
3/4 cup sugar
3/4 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
1 teaspoon water
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 large eggs
2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips

1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
2) Line some cookie sheets w/ parchment
3) Mix together the flour, soda & salt; set aside
4) Cream the butter & both sugars w/ an electric mixer (I just used a hand mixer with a big bowl)
5) When creamy, beat in the water, vanilla & eggs
6) Beat eggs just until mixed – don’t over-beat
7) Add the flour mixture gradually & stir until almost combined, then add the chocolate chips & stir until all flour is incorporated
8) Scoop up tablespoons of dough (only slightly rounded--not heaped) & arrange 2 inches apart on cookie sheets
9) Bake for 12-14 min or until cookies have brown edges & look done
10) Let 'em rest on cookie sheets for about 2 minutes; then transfer to a wire rack to cool

No comments:

Post a Comment